Friday, January 18, 2013

The First Brew

Hello everyone!

Welcome to my blog. My name is Meg and I will be your barista, serving you book news and reviews, coffee binge rants, and the occasional political anecdote (hopefully there will be few, but seeing as I'm a bit of a politics junkie, I can't make any promises).

If there are two things in this world that I am addicted to and know a lot about, it's coffee and books (and like I said, politics). And you couldn't really blame me. I have spent the last five years completely immersed in both. I graduated in May 2011 with my Bachelors degree in Creative Writing from the University of South Florida (Shout out to my USF peeps! Go Bulls!) At the same time I was going back and forth between jobs at Books a Million (BAM peeps!) and Coffee Beanery (Coffee Beanery peeps!). And now, I work at a public library. See? Coffee and Books, Books and Coffee.The two complete each other, like Tom Cruise and Renee Zellweger in Jerry Maguire. I mean, why else would they put coffee shops in the middle of bookstores? (Damn you, Books a Million for switching to Yogurt Mountain!)

So now you know about my addictions. What are yours? Come on, don't be shy.

So some interesting things happened this week.

1) I turned 25 (Woot!). That is correct, I am a quarter century old. To celebrate, my close friends and I went to Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. It was awesome and I came home with two new books, a Despicable Me minion (He's so fluffy!), a coffee mug with my coat of arms on it, and tons of awesome memories, pictures, and a video of my friend doing karaoke. So in a word...

2) I finished reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I will post my review soon. Just know that it will be good. Actually, more than good. Now, I'm reading Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi, which I expect to also give a rave review after reading it's predecessor, Under the Never Sky, which I LOVE!

3) We saw President Obama put forward common sense recommendations for gun regulation reform to the public, which I'm really excited about and fully support. We also saw a lot of outrage from heavy conservatives and the NRA, which was really distasteful. I have a lot of friends who are pro-gun and against regulating fire arms because of some notion that it will lead to tyranny and fascism or whatever (guess that's just life as a blue dot in a red state), but if that were true, wouldn't he have put forward more executive orders rather than putting the task on Congress? Not very tyrannical. 


Anyway, I know I could get deeper into this, but sleep is calling. Like nature, when sleep calls, you must answer. Or else...


Good night everyone! And have a good weekend!

Don't forget your coffee in the morning! (Using amaretto creamer from International Delight these days. HEAVEN!)


No comments:

Post a Comment